I love to make homemade hot fudge a few times a year as a special treat. This Hot Fudge Sauce is best served slightly warm or at room temperature and will keep for a long time in the fridge. I like to make a batch to serve with ice cream for a group gathering – one batch has ~20 servings.
Hot Fudge Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5.33 oz evaporated milk
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (measured and then sifted, or stirred with a whisk)
- 6 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Using a double boiler (or a large skillet placed on top of a pot with boiling water – that is what I use), melt the butter and chocolate, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add the milk and stir with the wooden spoon until combined.
- Using a whisk or wooden spoon, add the powdered sugar a half a cup or so at a time, stirring to combine, and whisking out any clumps.
- Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Stir vigorously.